It’s True…Human Intelligence Has Declined Over The Last Century
(CBS Radio) — There have been a plethora of technological advances across the world over the last century that it seems logical to assume that human intelligence has increased — however, a new study suggests otherwise.
A recent European study conducted on people who reside in Western nations reveals that human intelligence has actually declined — by more than 14 points since 1889.
To calculate the decline, researchers compared visual response times of individuals between 1889 to 2004. The researchers found that the average Intelligence quotient (IQ) dropped by over a full point each decade.
Visual response times were chosen in this study over standardized IQ tests due to variations in IQ tests over the years.
While the study may seem shocking, researchers predicted that human intelligence would decrease over time — rather than increase. For years, researchers have known that intelligent adults breed intelligent children, however, people of higher intelligence tend to have less children than couples of lower intelligence.
Here are some interesting facts about the human brain and human intelligence:
- Breastfed babies have higher IQ’s than formula fed babies.
- People of lower intelligence are at an increased risk for suffering concussions than people of higher intelligence.
- Preservatives found in food, processed foods, food coloring, and artificial dyes can lower a person’s IQ.
- Environmental factors have an effect on human intelligence.
- IQ tests do not accurately measure all types of intelligence.
- Feeling rejected can lower your IQ.
- On average, wine drinkers have higher IQ’s than beer drinkers.
-QC Writer, CBS Radio
Trending on V 101.9:
- Jay Z And Beyonce: Huge Summer Concert Tour
- Are Jay Z & Beyoncé Touring Together This Summer?
- Pharrell’s New Song is ‘Here’ From the ‘Spider-Man 2′ Soundtrack
- Happy Birthday Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
- R&B Artist Spotlight: Cheryl Lynn!
- History: The Brother Of Tennis Retires
- Employment: American Workers Are Not “Happy….”
- Fly Ty Cleans Up Beatties Ford Rd. With NFL Player Chris Canty
- Fly Ty Feeds Homeless At Harvest Center
- How To Celebrate Easter For Less!