It’s True…Human Intelligence Has Declined Over The Last Century
(CBS Radio) — There have been a plethora of technological advances across the world over the last century that it seems logical to assume that human intelligence has increased — however, a new study suggests otherwise.
A recent European study conducted on people who reside in Western nations reveals that human intelligence has actually declined — by more than 14 points since 1889.
To calculate the decline, researchers compared visual response times of individuals between 1889 to 2004. The researchers found that the average Intelligence quotient (IQ) dropped by over a full point each decade.
Visual response times were chosen in this study over standardized IQ tests due to variations in IQ tests over the years.
While the study may seem shocking, researchers predicted that human intelligence would decrease over time — rather than increase. For years, researchers have known that intelligent adults breed intelligent children, however, people of higher intelligence tend to have less children than couples of lower intelligence.
Here are some interesting facts about the human brain and human intelligence:
- Breastfed babies have higher IQ’s than formula fed babies.
- People of lower intelligence are at an increased risk for suffering concussions than people of higher intelligence.
- Preservatives found in food, processed foods, food coloring, and artificial dyes can lower a person’s IQ.
- Environmental factors have an effect on human intelligence.
- IQ tests do not accurately measure all types of intelligence.
- Feeling rejected can lower your IQ.
- On average, wine drinkers have higher IQ’s than beer drinkers.
-QC Writer, CBS Radio
Trending on V 101.9:
- Is The Bond Between Carolina Panthers And Steve Smith Over?
- Artie And Fly Ty Discuss Marriage Is It Right For Everyone? According To Djimon Hounsou It’s Not.
- Birthdays–Greetings To The Cool Dude–Terrence Howard
- History: The Day A Mile Wide Asteroid Shook Scientific World
- History: The Beginning of “Bell Bottom Pants”
- Frank Ocean to Chipotle: ‘F— OFF’ Here’s $212,500
- Steve Harvey: Catch Fire Today!
- Fly Ty and Artie Discuss Conspiracy Theories Malaysia Flight 370
- Watch Beyoncé Make It Clear, She’s Not Bossy, She’s The Boss
- First Look: Jamie Foxx As Benjamin Stacks In “Annie”