Wellness Wednesday: The Importance of Early Detection
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. So, for the entire month October V101.9 is dedicating Wellness Wednesday to bringing awareness, understanding, and hope to this illness.
Breast Cancer is defined as a malignant tumor that develops in the breast. Despite what you may think, breast cancer does not discriminate between the sexes; both men and woman are susceptible to breast cancer.
Early detection is the best step to preventing the spread of breast cancer in women. According to the National Cancer Institute, “When breast cancer is detected early, in the localized stage, the 5-year survival rate is 98%.”
Early detection means greater treatment options and ultimately a greater chance for survival. Here are a few early detection tips that may just save your life.
1. Perform monthly breast self-exams. Never hesitate. Immediately, consult with you healthcare professional if you notice anything unusual.
2. Get regular screenings. There are different types of screenings; however the most common is the mammogram.
3. Know what is normal for you. The signs of breast cancer are not necessarily the same for all women, so it is important to know how your breasts usually look and feel.
4. Choose a mammography expert. When looking for a doctor, select a practice that specializes in a reading digital mammography. Unlike traditional film scans, digital scans can now produce a better image.
5. Be proactive. Never put off screenings because of fear or discomfort. Do a little research, so you’ll know what to expect.
6. Know if you are at risk. Does your family have a history of breast cancer? Look to your mother, sisters, or aunts for your family history if you don’t already know it. If you are at higher risk consult with your physician for preemptive screening practices.
Pass this information on to the women you love. Together we can win the fight against breast cancer. Visit the V101.9 website all October long for more blogs, photos, and inspiration on Breast Cancer Awareness.
-Jennifer Hall, CBS Charlotte
For More From V101.9…
- Is The Bond Between Carolina Panthers And Steve Smith Over?
- Artie And Fly Ty Discuss Marriage Is It Right For Everyone? According To Djimon Hounsou It’s Not.
- Birthdays–Greetings To The Cool Dude–Terrence Howard
- History: The Day A Mile Wide Asteroid Shook Scientific World
- History: The Beginning of “Bell Bottom Pants”