Prince: 60 Things You Might Not Know 1-10
1) Prince wrote his first song “Funk Machine” at age 7
2) At 10, he danced on stage with James Brown. Here’s what he told MTV in an interview, “My step-dad put me on stage with him and I danced until the bodyguards took me off.”
3) At the Beverly Theater in Los Angeles in 1983…on stage is Michael Jackson, James Brown and BB King! Incredible!!!
4) The name of princes very First band as a teenager was called Grand Central.
5) As a teenager, Prince was a diehard Joni Mitchell fan. So hard-core that he used to write her fan mail with all of his U’s as hearts, she told New York Magazine. That her office took the mail as being from a lunatic and would toss it out. WoW!
6) In 1985, Prince told Rolling Stone magazine that, “I didn’t have any money so I’d just stand outside McDonald’s and smell stuff.”
7) Prince rejected a deal with CBS when he was 19 because they insisted that Verdine White from Earth, Wind and Fire produced his first three albums. Prince later signed a deal with Warner Bros. that allowed him to produce his own music.
8) Prince had a clause in his contract with Warner Bros. that allowed him to recruit other artists and produce them for the label. Then came The Time.
9) Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, the production team duo behind many of Janet Jackson‘s biggest hits in the 1980s as well as crazy hits by Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Human League, and George Michael started out as members of The Time. But believe it or not they were fired by Prince. WHAT!?!
10) Prince put the members of The Time through vigorous rehearsals for their debut album but Prince ended up recording every single instrumental part himself. The only member of the group whose vocals appeared on the album was Morris Day‘s who was forced to mimic Prince’s sound.
I will have 10 more tomorrow.